Welcome to the Groundling List, a database of early English language plays and playwrights written or published before the year 1700. This list is a work in progress, and we are actively working to complete and correct the entries to create as comprehensive as possible a resource for students of the early English drama.
To browse the current database by author or title, please use the form above.
The following designations and abbreviations are used in this list:
- Attributed to or attr.: Used when a play was originally published anonymously or under another writer’s name, but modern scholarship has made a confident attribution of authorship.
- Sometimes attributed to or sometimes attr.: Used when an attribution of authorship has been made, but is regarded as incorrect or uncertain by modern scholarship.
- Translated by or trans.: Indicates a dramatic work translated into English from another language.
A few of the more important sources used to compile this list include:
- Walter Wilson Greg, A List of English Plays Written Before 1643 And Printed Before 1700. London, 1900.
- James O. Halliwell, A Dictionary of Old English Plays, Existing Either in Print or in Manuscript, From the Earliest Times to the Close of the Seventeenth Century. London, 1860.
The Groundling List currently contains information on:
|Included in List||Detailed Entry|